Many New Zealanders will be weeping today (19 March 2020) for the actions of their parliament last night in enabling the abortion bill by MP Andrew Little to be legalised. 68-51 was the 3rd and final vote that saw it further progress into law.
Though abortion was previously under the Crimes Act, no woman had ever been convicted in NZ for the murder of her unborn child. Now, moved to that of being a woman’s health issue, it has legally dehumanised the growing person within her to simply that of being tissue for removal. All proposed amendments to the bill (1) were defeated even that of simply ensuring unborn babies over 20 weeks – undergoing abortion – would not feel pain, in stark contrast to the Animal Welfare Act that ensures animals under veterinary care will not suffer undue pain.
The New Zealand Government have not only closed their eyes and ears to the rights of our unborn children, they have also closed their hearts.
Maybe New Zealand is being more honest now, in that it has always had a culture of ‘abortion-on-demand’ as evidenced by the many brave women who came forward and shared their personal experiences publicly.
As a mum of 4 children (two of whom having special needs) I am broken, not only for the continued violence (soon to be virtually unchecked) toward our most vulnerable in society and the message it sends to those outside society’s ‘norm’, but also for the many women of whom this law will personally impact.
As of yesterday, in New Zealand, if an unborn life does not matter to the pregnant woman, the majority of our MP’s have concurred and concluded – it does not matter at all.
Within a week or two, this lie will most likely* be New Zealand law.
May YeHoWaH Elohim have mercy on New Zealand.
Huge thanks and appreciation to the 51 MP’s who voted against this bill and to Family First NZ – Bob McCoskrie, for his tireless work in opposing this bill.
(my apologies: also to all the other amazing organisations who also fought tirelessly for New Zealand’s unborn children – Choose Life NZ, Voice For Life NZ, Right To Life NZ, Pro Life NZ, and any others I may have excluded.)
image used with permission: Sam and Grace in the ‘March for Life’ – 29 Feb 2020 – Auckland
* effective once given Queen’s approval, by New Zealand’s Governor-General (usually between 7-10 working days after final vote). NB: assent is not a given and can be refused on the advice of her ministers – please continue to pray.
(1) bill amendments (source: email from Family First NZ [familyfirst.org.nz]):
* BORN ALIVE: requirement that a qualified health practitioner who performed an abortion that results in the birth of a child after an attempted abortion has a duty to provide the child with appropriate medical care and treatment, no different than the duty owed to provide medical care and treatment to any other child born. Because of international experience here, here and here, it was vital to have an express provision in the abortion legislation to reinforce this obligation.
* SEX SELECTION: explicit ban on sex selection abortions which do happen both here and and overseas
* DISABILITY: explicit ban on disability discrimination abortions
* PARENTS: parental involvement – abortion for minors treated like other health procedures. In all other health contexts, the health practitioner is required to assess the child’s capacity prior to a medical procedure and, where capacity is lacking, obtain the consent of a parent or guardian. Why can parents be deliberately excluded from this procedure?
* FOETAL PAIN: requirement for abortion procedures post-20 week to ensure that foetus does not feel pain (as per the Animal Welfare Act which requires vets to ensure that animals don’t feel pain!)
* LATE TERM: abortions post-20 weeks only for extreme circumstances
* CONSCIENCE: keeping conscientious objection standards the same as they currently are (the bill currently weakens the protections)
* REFERENDUM: a referendum so that we all get a say on this crucial issue, similar to euthanasia
List of NZ MPs and their voting for the 3rd hearing including amendments:
Labour, Green and NZ First: https://www.chooselife.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Labour-Green-NZF-Abortion-Vote.pdf
National and Independent MPs:https://www.chooselife.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/National-Abortion-Vote.pdf